Friday, October 30, 2009

No need to knead


Ok, so my attempt at the pan noodles was a disaster, but that never stops me from trying to make it at home. Take out or canned is always more expensive and rarely as good as what I can make in my own kitchen. Take bread for example. You know that chewy bread you get with your soup at places like Panera? How about that awesome panini they have at one of those small places you are dying to have lunch with your friends at. I made this recipe and it about killed me not to eat the whole loaf! I had to be satisfied with the heels, but since it is round, there were 4 of those....
This recipe was published in the NY Times last year and has made the Internet rounds since then. I just decided to give it a try with AP flour despite being a whole wheat kinda girl, and it was incredible. I advise you make this on a day when you have soup on the menu, and if there is any left over, paninis the next day. I would!

No Knead Bread

3 cups flour
1 pkg yeast (.25 oz or 2 1/4 tsp)
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups water

1. Combine flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Add 1 1/2 cups water and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy. Cover bowl with a towel and a plate. Let dough rest about 4 hours at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees. I like to put mine in the microwave as it is above the stove, and then turn on its light.

2. Lightly oil a work surface and place dough on it; fold it over on itself once or twice. You can cover loosely with plastic wrap, I didn't, and let rest 30 minutes more.

3. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6-to-8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic), I used my Le Creuset knock off, in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Carefully lift dough (it will resemble something out of a horror movie) and put it into pot, seam side up. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes.

4. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

Yield: 1 big loaf.

1 comment:

  1. I think I may try this one day soon. I have seen similar recipes on other blogs but haven't had a chance to try it yet! No kneading is a wonderful thing in my opinion. Thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete