Thursday, October 15, 2009
Super Foods- Lasagna Rolls
6 lasagna noodles (I used whole wheat)
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 lb ground turkey breast
1 onion chopped (from garden)
2 garlic cloves chopped
1 yellow or red bell pepper seeded and chopped
1 16oz tomato sauce ( I used home canned)
1/3 c water
1 c ricotta cheese
1/2 bag fresh spinach, chopped
1 tsp basil
2 T Parmesan cheese
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/2 c mozzarella cheese
1. Cook lasagna noodles according to directions, drain and lay out on a dish towel to dry a bit
2. Heat oil in skillet (oven safe) and cook turkey, onion, garlic and bell pepper until all the pan juices evaporate (10 min or so). Stir in tomato sauce and water, simmer for about 5 minuts.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. While heating, stir ricotta, spinach, basil, parmesan, egg and nutmeg in a bowl. Spread over the length of each noodle and roll up.
4. Place in pan on top of tomato/turkey mixture and spoon half of sauce over rolls. Bake 40 minutes, sprinkling the mozzarella on in the last 10 minutes.
5. Call them something witty like incredible hulk food so your kids have even more fun eating them. My kids all liked them, but they are kinda like that.
Visit Kitchen Stewardship for more Super Foods Recipes as part of the October Fest Carnival of Super Foods. Next week’s theme: “Un-Processed foods”.