Friday, October 23, 2009

Oyster Stew

Ok, I have to confess, I don't actually eat this one. I make it, every Christmas Eve, and a few odd days here and there as the weather gets colder. Those little oysters really are quite pretty as they ruffle up in the hot pan, swimming in butter, but.... just not my thing. So, we made it last night with these phenomenal cheese, tomato and basil paninis. Supper on in about 12 minutes.

Oyster Stew
1/8 c shallot or onion, minced
2 tsp butter
8 oz can oysters
1 c half and half
1/2 c milk
salt and pepper to taste

Cook shallot in butter until soft, add oysters and simmer until the edges begin to look ruffled. I can't really say how long this takes, maybe a couple minutes. Add half and half and milk all at once and slowly reheat, do not boil. You can add parsley for looks, but salt and pepper to taste since the oysters do give it somewhat of a salty flavor.

1 comment:

  1. Oyster Stew is a big deal in our extended family for Christmas time, too, although my husband can't stand it. I made it last year like potato soup, then added oysters to just my bowl. Yours looks very yummy and much richer than what my mom usually makes!

    ReplyDelete