Friday, October 16, 2009

Super Foods- Breakfast Style


I love the Super Foods Fest that Katie is having over at Kitchen Stewardship. What a great idea to focus on why we should eat certain things and run away from other parts of the grocery store. So in an effort to add some foods we rarely eat, and to take advantage of hubby not being here so that I could test out some ideas, this morning was certainly an adventure. A chia adventure. Yup, chia. Cha cha cha chia...
I am a confessed blogaholic when it comes to reading. I get click happy on someones blog, link up somewhere else and by the time an hour goes by, have read about a dozen different people and a dozen different topics. Sara Janssen at Walk Slowly, Live Wildly posted a slide show on the home birth of her second daughter. While watching that, I found she had also posted some great webcam movies about raw food diets and smoothies. Then I discovered the movie about chia. Perfect, hubby out of town, I cook for the kids and I am free to try whatever.
I have to tell you, it's not bad. I mixed up a batch according to her directions, and then because I am only a little brave, I mixed the chia in with my oatmeal. As I sit here, 15 minutes or so after eating, I am really happy and satisfied. I know that I won't be hungry this morning despite having both a personal trainer session and an hour of yoga coming. Here is what I ate, if you are so inclined to try... you should be able to find chia at your local organic grocer, but if not and you are still interested, there are many places online to order it. Once again I can honestly tell my kids, they need to try something before they don't like it.
Cha cha cha chia....

Chia breakfast
1/3 c cooked old fashoned oatmeal
1/4 c soaked chia
1 tsp honey
1/2 banana

No comments:

Post a Comment