Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Oh the piles


How do you keep up with your laundry, is probably the most frequent question I get with four kids. I know many of my friends designate Saturday as laundry day, and there they stand, with a mountain piled up on their bed, couch, counter etc. What am I doing on Saturday morning? Usually I'm drinking coffee and making breakfast. The key is not to save it. It's not wine, definitely not going to get better with age. It's not leftover cake, so no one else is going to take on the task of getting rid of it. It's not moldy cheese, can't just throw it out and start over. Pace yourself...
Every morning I get up and do three things right away before anyone gets out of bed. 1) Start my tea 2) Open my computer and read my morning inspiration 3) Start a load of laundry
I try to do two loads a day this way. Does it always get done? No. Do I beat myself up if I don't? Are you kidding me! I start one first thing in the morning and I either dry or hang that one. The second load gets started right after breakfast and I put away the dried clothes. Now all that is left before I leave the house is to throw the second load in the dryer. I don't worry about folding that load until after the kids are in bed and I am sitting on the couch watching a little tv with my hubby, and sometimes he helps fold too. No stress, no pile, no mold... well I hope not anyway, and my Saturday morning is free. Relatively speaking that is. Works for me!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful. With 3 kids I have to do the same. Unfortunately I am so undisciplined that I often put it off and end up with piles. Yuck. That's one of my goals for this year, to get on a workable laundry schedule that I can STICK TO! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I _hate_ it when I get piles. *snickers*

    ReplyDelete