Friday, January 15, 2010

$5 eggs on a budget

I'll admit, paying $5 a dozen for something that comes out of a chicken's butt seems a bit crazy. Roll with me on this one. Please bear in mind that this is what we do, in no way am I saying that if you don't do things like I do are you a bad person. This works for us, and blogging is just a way for me to share that, not make people feel bad because they can't or don't eat like we do. Believe me, we went through years where we ate a lot of .60 eggs because that was what we could afford, and we were just fine.

Enter my shopping post for this week. Just doing a quick calculation, I figure I make bread at $1.47 a loaf. I bought bread similar to what I make in my own kitchen last week, and it cost me $3.19! That $1.72 difference is how I budget for our eggs. As to why, we eat a lot of eggs. Our whole family will eat a dozen on Sunday mornings and a loaf of bread. That is breakfast for six people for $6.45. Yes it could be much less if I bought conventional eggs, but my husband is rather fond of shakes made of raw eggs and raw milk. Not my favorite, but I don't worry about these eggs carrying some nasty bug like I do conventional ones, and pasteurizing them just seems like they are taking out some of the health benefits...

So there you go. I love that you are commenting on things, it makes me think more about the choices I am making when feeding my family. Sorry the post was so long in explaining, but I have never been accused of saying things the quick way, lol.
How bout you? Are there areas of your household where you have cut back on something in order to afford something else? Do you budget your grocery bill, or just buy whatever looks good?

2 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you've figured out a way to splurge on what's important to you while still maintaining the bottom line of your budget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found a local place here where I can get them for $2.50! My sister and I are thinking about getting some chickens too! You can link up to her blog from mine (Sommer Days) and she just put a post on there about a homesteading tour we took last week.

    ReplyDelete