Friday, January 8, 2010

Crepes



We love breakfast in our house. Some of us are ready to eat the minute we get up, some others take an hour to warm up to the idea. No matter what time, breakfast style is always a welcome meal. This morning we had crepes.

Unless your first thought on reading this is yuck, you should be making these babies. Especially if you are like me, and have a hard time paying 8-12 dollars for a plate of them. I made my own, used a jar of home canned organic peaches (and one banana) and had a troupe of smiling kids (and mom) headed out the door in regular time. Ok, I am never on time, but I swear these are so easy and good, there is no reason not to add them to your breakfast favorites. This is the recipe I use from Nourishing Traditions, I am sure your favorite cookbook has one as well.

Crepes
2 c flour (I use soft white wheat that I grind and store in my freezer)
2 c buttermilk
3 eggs lightly beaten
1/2 t salt
1/4 c melted butter

You can soak your flour overnight in the buttermilk, but I forgot, so...
Stir everything together, and then add water until it is the consistancy of cream (or creamer if that is what you are used to looking at). Put your pan on to medium heat and then brush with butter. Set out your plates, open your fruit, dig for your powdered sugar, mix up any extra filling, go wake your daughter up for the third time... By now the pan should be hot.

Pour 1/3 c into pan and grab the handle (using potholders if necessary) and roll the batter around coating the bottom of your pan. Let this cook for 2 minutes and flip. You can use a large pancake turner or if you have asbestos fingers like I do, grab the edge which should be peeling away from the pan, and pick the whole thing up and flip it over. Cook for 1 more minute and put on the plate. Butter your pan, add 1/3 c batter again, and now turn to the crepe on the plate. We like ours filled with fruit and a mixture of Neufchatel cheese and honey. Roll and top with powdered sugar. Throw plate to first kid and flip crepe in pan. Get second plate and kid into chair, repeat. My kids know by now that when Mom is in the kitchen and in her zone, stay outa the way!

Other popular filling choices are pb and banana, applesauce, sour cream and jelly, just jelly, eggs, eggs with stuff in them... you name it, the options are endless. I have even made a "lasagna" of sorts with layers of crepe, ham and cheese, and broccoli and cheese repeated in a pie plate. Talk about pretty when cut! The cost of this breakfast, even with the jar of organic peaches was less than one plate at a restaraunt, and I fed five out of the six of us with leftovers. Can't beat that with a stick, can you? What is your favorite frugal breakfast idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment