Tuesday, March 17, 2009

DVR

Ok, I know it seems silly to be happy for a piece of equipment that I am told will turn my kid's fragile brains to mush, but the dishes are done. My girlfriend and I have conversations about our kids an television at least once a week.

T: I am such a bad mom!
Me: No your not, what did you do?
T: My kids are watching Max and Ruby so that I can get (insert chore here) done.
Me: That does not make you a bad mom, T, just a normal one.
T: But I feel so guilty!

Don't know how many of you say these things, or have this same conversation with your friends. Come to think of it, she is the only one that I ever talk about this with! I am going to go with the thought that because we both do it, there are other people in momland who also cherish that 20 minutes or so that the television buys them when they just can't seem to get anything done. Maybe rather than being grateful for the DVR, I should be grateful that my boys find me so important they can't be away from me. Maybe I am just so valuable in everything they do, they either want me involved in their play, or mediating an argument because they know I will be fair. No matter what, 20 minutes of mush is worth the peace of a clean kitchen because once that is done, I know that I will be able to be "on" the other 13 hours and 40 minutes when it matters.

1 comment:

  1. I had the same questions as a mom, now as the Grammy I've recognized that a bit of well chosen TV (our standard is Baby Einstien) mixed with a great deal of loving atention, sound teaching, words of affimation, and lots of hugs and kisses can be just fine and can sometimes encourage make-believe and widen experiences. For short - the fact that you even ask makes you a good mom. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete