Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Money Money Money...

Always sunny, in a rich man's world....

They were playing this song last night on A Nun's Life Podcast Praying with the Sisters. I love this program, there is a chat room and a live podcast where you can see the Sisters as they talk and pray for all requests that are listed in the chat room. ABBA was being played after prayers to celebrate someone getting a job, and this was the song...
Somehow rather than feeling celebratory, it just felt burdensome to me. Don't get me wrong, I was very happy for the celebrator, it just brought up thoughts about our own budget and I always get crabby when I think about the budget.

So what am I thankful for? WE are on the budget, not me, WE. My prayers were answered and my husband sat down with me to figure out a plan for tackling our debt. No nagging, no crabbing, no begging or anger, just prayer. He is the head of our house, and once again, he delivered that promise that he made to God to care for me. Praying for your husband is good!

Now, we are not on a budget because we are in the poorhouse, quite the contrary, we and our kids have and do things I never dreamed of being able to do as a kid, much less when we first got married. We are on a budget because the Bible has convicted us to be more responsible with our gifts. Day after day, when I pull out the checkbook to balance it, pay a bill, purchase anything, I am reminded, "Owe nothing to anyone, except to love one another; for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law" Romans 13:8. I even have that written on a sticky note stuck to my Sams Club card inside my checkbook cover. A reminder to be responsible for the gifts we have been given, and the debt that we still owe.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed your post -- we're on a very tight budget because we are living on one income and struggling to keep the family business going (so we have that one income!). So it's tough, but I'm still grateful to have our family together and to have two children who are happy and healthy :-)

    I'm a new follower of your blog from the Heavenly Homemakers meme :-)

    Marie
    bonkersinbarnhart.com

    ReplyDelete