Friday, March 5, 2010

Beans

When I was little, my dad read me a book called The Bike Lesson by Stan and Jan Berenstein. Each time the dad in the book taught his cub a new lesson he would follow it by saying, "This is what you must never do, now let that be a lesson to you."
Don't leave a pot of beans soaking on your corn stove for two days. When you try to salvage them by washing (and scrubbing) the beans, repeatedly rinsing and adding new water, and then put them on to cook, and they still smell like they have fermented....
Holy cow, who puked!
That was the question I got from my husband when he walked into the kitchen this morning. When I told him what happened, he very nicely suggested I share the beans with the compost pile.
What a thoughtful man.
Actually, I was relieved because there is nothing worse than making a recipe that takes a long time and having it be ruined by one bad ingredient. Besides, my fridge is so overwhelmed with leftovers that we have enough food to feed the neighborhood. To bad it is Friday, the ribs are calling me...
Have you ever had something not quite work out in the kitchen?

No comments:

Post a Comment