Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thankful for Bento Love!



"Are you still doing that bento thing?"
That was the question from my girlfriend this week when I talked to her. Uhhhhhhh? How do you answer that one without totally talking your friends ear off about food and packing lunches... You can't, lol. She is used to that by now.

I think.

For those of you who don't know, bento is a form of lunch packing from Japan. It is a way for mothers to make food look more fun for kids, kids to show off their lunches and in turn, show off their moms... What kid wouldn't want eyeballs looking at them when they open their lunchbox? Other benefits are, more veggies snuck into their bodies, because they are more fun to eat, and portion control for adults. Boxes come in sizes ranging from 250 ml to 900 ml. If you pack them according to the recommended protein/starch/veggie ratio, you end up with approximately that many calories in the box. My younger kids use a 350-550 ml box, my older boy and hubby an 800 ml box. There are sites out there with information on how to choose the right size box for you. If you are really wanting to be amazed, just image google the word bento...but I digress...on to the good stuff!

I am so excited! Heather over at Ohayo Bento is having an awesome give-away on some really cute and practical bento items. I just got my first box from her, and boy were my kids excited. Even my 12 year old, who doesn't get excited about anything except extra time on the computer, was excited. I can't wait to post a photo of the new box packed full of #3's lunch. He has declared that it is his turn to get the new box and he doesn't care that it has bunnies on it, they are cool!

I also got some new bands (you never know if they are going to come home) some picks shaped like fruit and a bear shaped rice mold. Like Christmas I'm tellin ya!
If you are a bento nut, or if you have no idea what bento is, you should visit Heather at Ohayo Bento. Her boxes are beautifully done, and quite an inspiration for those of us just starting out.

I am so thankful I can stay home and do things like this. After you visit Heather at Ohayo Bento, be sure to go see what others are thankful for!

1 comment:

  1. Ahh!!!! :) You're making me blush! Thank you so much for the wonderful comments and for letting everyone know about the bento giveaway!

    ReplyDelete