Friday, December 4, 2009

Enchilada Casserole

Since no day of the week starts with R, I guess Friday will have to continue to be my place for adding new recipes to the blog. This is my version of, "Ratfarts, the tortillas didn't come out near big enough or round enough for enchiladas", enchiladas. I love Mexico and its food, but I don't like to take kids to a restaurant, and certainly don't like to pay the bill. This is a go to recipe when I have a bunch of leftover things in the freezer, you know, a little beans here, a little rice here, end of a bag of corn, type thing. All these measurements are approximate. If you don't have an ingredient, no biggie, just makes the casserole a bit smaller. The rice and meat are interchangeable, so if you have a vegetarian (not here) or just a little bit of meat left over and you are tired of chicken salad, this is a very easy way to use it. Kinda reminds me of when we were kids an leftovers got added to white sauce and poured over toast... only way better...

Enchilada Casserole
One batch of homemade corn tortillas (or about 16 store bought ones)
2 cans enchilada sauce
1-2 c cooked chicken, turkey, or beef
1 c corn
1 c beans- black, pinto, whatever
1-2 c brown rice
1 1/2 c sharp cheddar, or your favorite cheese blend

To assemble
Pour 1/2 can sauce into the pan you are baking this in. I am using the same pan that I made my tortillas in because I hate to do dishes. Shred 5 tortillas on top of the sauce layer. In the bowl I mixed up my tortilla dough in and still have not washed, mix meat, corn, beans and rice. My beans and corn are even still a bit frozen at this point. Spread 1/2 of this mixture on the shredded tortillas, pour the other half of the can of sauce over that and top with a bit of the cheese. Repeat process with 5 more tortillas, other half of mixture and 1/2 can of sauce. Shred last 5 tortillas and pour last 1/2 can sauce over that. Now top with cheese. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes, or until bubbling and your family has asked you for the thousandth time if supper is done yet! We top this with plain yogurt and Cholula hot sauce. Typically I serve lettuce on the side as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment